Saturday, July 5, 2014

Bike Parking in Sacramento

Bicycle parking in Sacramento can be lackluster in many places.  On a whole, the best option is very often locking your bike to a sign post.  While some businesses have put forth an earnest effort to improve the state of their Bicycle Parking facilities, a great number of the Bike Parking choices they make are fundamentally flawed.  

The common, recurring problem with bike parking is a demonstrated lack of understanding of basic Bicycle Lock guidelines.  That is to say:  Always lock your frame up.  Best practice to lock your frame and your front wheel.  Especially if you have quick release wheels which, increasingly, bikes do.  The lock of choice is a U lock, which should be wide enough to lock your frame and your front wheel.  

Ideally, you should lock your back wheel as well, but it is impossible to do this without a long cable lock.  This is a point where a lot of people drop off:  They're down to carry one lock, but two is too cumbersome.  The back wheel is usually the one to let go because it is harder to remove given its attachment to the chain and deraileur system.  The front wheel, on the other hand, can be removed in a matter of seconds.  

Let's review:  Best lock style is a U-lock. Lock priorities:  Frame, Front Wheel, Back wheel.  Using these guidelines, I will proceed to review the different bike parking situations I find throughout town.


Very artful, but ultimately of little value.  In front of One Speed on Folsom.  


Well look here, isn't this a nifty looking bike rack?  Very nicely designed metal sculpture.  Check out the gears, and the slots down below for keeping your bike aligned?  How nice.  Except, wait a minute, see where I'm parked?  I chose to lock to the side of the rack because It was the only way I could lock both my frame and front wheel using my large U-Lock.

Following the way this rack's design suggests I should park my bike, I would only be able to lock my front wheel, leaving the rest of my bike vulnerable to the next passing bike thief, who would require only seconds to remove my front wheel and walk away with the my frame.  Then all I would have left of my bike would be another tragic wheel-locked-to-a-rack, like you see around town.

Sorry One-Speed, you get a A for artful, and a D for (bad) Design.

No comments:

Post a Comment